On the adventures and training of Cinnamon Snapdragon, a papillon destined for greatness.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Pictures from obedience training

Denise is preparing to write a book, and took pictures of me heeling and playing with Dragon during our lesson. We may be in the final version of the book. You can bet I would be stoked about that! Here are some of the pictures we got:

IMG_1237b
Jumping into position on my right side as a warm-up.

IMG_1239b
Happy heeling -- love this one!!

IMG_1243b
Jumping all the way off the ground to do a hand touch -- another wow!

IMG_1251b
Automatic sit at heel and expecting a treat, hehe.

IMG_1254b
LOVE this picture for an analysis of body language. Look at the original-sized photo here to see better. Dragon's ears are down and slightly back, his lips are puckered forward, and at first glance he's leaning away from me. The first reaction that a person is likely to have to this picture is that the dog is threatened and moving away from the hand. In fact, he was pulling back only to ready himself for another playful strike. Looking at the detail of the zoomed-in photo, you can see that his eyes are soft rather than widened in fear. His back legs are braced to go forward, and his front right leg is held high up against his chest. He's ready to jump forward or shift side-to-side, rather than pulling backwards as the front left leg might make you think. His tail is very, very high up in excitement. This dog is in the middle of a fun game, and not intimidated by the hand coming right at him.

IMG_1261b
I often clap as part of my reward sequence. Dragon's mouth is puckered again -- it looks like he's barking in excitement, but I think he was just readying for more play-biting.

IMG_1264b
Funny face. I'm pushing him sideways as part of the wrestling game.

IMG_1286b
Happy dog getting into position.

IMG_1271b
Playing.

IMG_1280b
Hand-biting.

IMG_1281b
More hand-biting. He likes to roll over during play but only does it if he's very comfortable with the area.

IMG_1282b
Tug with my finger.

IMG_1283b
More tugging. He used to do this more when he was younger; now he prefers to latch on to the back of my hand.

These pictures bring a big grin to my face. Hoorah for positive training!

6 comments:

  1. well you know I think it's all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! It must be nice having a dog with smaller teeth... Tug with my hand is not something I would encourage with Elli. Oh gosh - jump on me, sure, vault of me, fine, but those teefers... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i love all the play!!! Such great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Jacques and I play a lot, but not enough during training. This helps me remember to incorporate more play in our training sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also need reminders to play more and approach the training more playfully!

      Delete