On the adventures and training of Cinnamon Snapdragon, a papillon destined for greatness.

Monday, October 24, 2011

pet insurance

Dragon is insured with Trupanion. I just got the last form I needed filled out by the vet who saw us last Monday night, and will mail out the forms and copies of his entire medical history this week. Unlike human health insurance companies who pay the doctor directly, pet health insurance companies require the owner to pay the vet clinic, and reimburse the owner later (or not). Also like with human insurance, pet insurance companies are known for doing their best to get out of having to pay. However I did my research before I chose Trupanion, and I've read their policy twice since his injury, and they should reimburse me for 90% of the cost of diagnostic tests and medications. They do not cover exam fees.

My total expenses for far: $585
I should be reimbursed: $263
My remaining costs (office exam fees and 10% of meds/diagnostics): $322

I enrolled in the program in February, and have paid them dues of $33.47 nine times. I've paid Trupanion a total of $301.23. That means that I've paid them only about $38 more than they will now pay me. Add to that the knowledge that they would have covered 90% of the cost of surgery should he have needed it, and I'd say that it's worth it so far.

4 comments:

  1. I have Trupanion for Tibby and just submitted my first claim last week. I pay about $18 a month and have a $1000 deductable. I submitted a $700 bill (for echocardiogram ultrasound and xray). Trupanion covered $500, so ONLY $500 more and our deductable will be covered! LOL! I look at the insurance as protection against something REALLY expensive (more than our deductable).

    Hope Dragon feels better soon! He was so cute in his dragon wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, that's a high deductible! I'm paying more per month so that I have a $0 deductible.I hope that you don't have to pay another $500 this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pupil is still a bit red, but otherwise looks normal. Our check-up with the ophthalmologist is in one week.

    ReplyDelete