On the adventures and training of Cinnamon Snapdragon, a papillon destined for greatness.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Home-made agility jump, and vehicle searches

home-made agility jump!

Bought PVC and cutters, and made my own agility jump! I've marked off 8", 10", and 12" heights. We're working on 10" now and will raise up to 12" once his muscles are ready. He had no trouble understanding the foundation jump exercises from our trainer, and I'm so excited to learn more at our next lesson! I'm considering building TDAA-sized equipment besides jumps, as well. I enjoy working with my hands and creating things, and having obstacles on hand would really help our agility training.

This afternoon, my friend and Nosework trainer Miki came over to start us off on vehicle searches. She taped the tin to the car in super obvious spots, right where Dragon's nose would pass by it, to introduce the concept of searching on the car. He was surprised the first couple of times but by the second round of hides he was purposefully walking around the car and sniffing it. (I say that she taped the tin because we were using my Prius, and although the tin has a magnet inside, most of the Prius's siding is plastic... It's a toy car.) So now we have many ways to practice for Nosework: indoors in new locations (such as the pet store and hardware store), outdoors on concrete in new locations, outdoors on grass/dirt in more familiar and therefore less distracting locations, and on vehicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment