On the adventures and training of Cinnamon Snapdragon, a papillon destined for greatness.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rafting adventure! (image heavy)

Today Dragon and I, along with my parents, my aunt and uncle, and their dog Tori, took a rafting trip down the Russian River. It was a very mellow section of the river, and the rafts were inflated and very stable. I was still a bit nervous that Dragon might get an upset stomach from the movement (he gets carsick sometimes) or that he would be stressed that he was trapped on a strange object in the middle of a river, but he was a champ. I was so proud of him -- he spent most of the ride calmly standing at the front of the raft, garnering comments about being the caption of the ship or the mermaid at the prow.

I brought along his orange floaty ball and tossed it into the water here and there. He happily pawed and mouthed at it in the shallows, and twice he went in deep enough to swim for it. However he was clearly reluctant and did not actually enjoy swimming. I was disappointed about that, but maybe in time he'll come around to it. I did buy him a tiny doggy life jacket in case the current swept him away. Indeed he jumped from the raft into the water once toward the beginning of the trip (I think he saw something intriguing in the water), and one time he lost his balance and fell in (surprisingly, that didn't happen until almost the very end of the five hour trip). I had his leash clipped to the top of the life jacket and so was able to quickly reel him in without any panic on his part.

Of course, I took a ton of pictures. I'm including some family photos along with the dog stuff this time:

IMG_1457
He has skinny chicken legs when he's wet.

IMG_1461
Tori enjoyed swimming.

IMG_1462

IMG_1466
She did not enjoy the raft, and her parents had to coax her in...

IMG_1469
Only for her to hop back out on the other side.

IMG_1475

IMG_1488
Totally wet from his jump into the water.

IMG_1494

IMG_1499

IMG_1514
He had great balance on the side of the raft.

IMG_1517
With my mom.

IMG_1519
DUCKS

IMG_1525

IMG_1527
DID YOU SEE THOSE DUCKS

IMG_1529
BETTER LOOK FOR MORE DUCKS

IMG_1541
Tori frequently jumped ship when the raft went by shallower water. Here she's humoring her parents and staying in, but you can tell from her closed mouth and pinned back ears that she's not pleased. By the end of the day she was resigned to staying in.

IMG_1546
My dad, the best paddler.

IMG_1548
Dog or giant ball of lint?

IMG_1562
There were plenty of downed trees on the banks. Sometimes we weren't so great at avoiding them.

IMG_1564
Dragon has moved to the prow.

IMG_1585
We stopped for lunch and my dad peeled a cucumber. Dragon really liked eating the skins!

IMG_1592
Sticks! Tori's favorite part of the day.

IMG_1597

IMG_1598

IMG_1594
Dragon kept stealing her sticks.

IMG_1595
What an a-hole.

IMG_1602
Myself.

IMG_1604

IMG_1607

IMG_1608
One of the few times that Dragon lay down on the raft.

IMG_1609
It only lasted for a few seconds each time.

IMG_1617
My dad loved the rope swing.

IMG_1622

IMG_1625

IMG_1641

We all had a great time and plan to repeat the trip next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment